Fourth of July is almost here! This year, we decided to create this classic summer dessert as part of our red, white, and blue festivities. We've chosen Newman's Own Organic Pretzels, fat-free whipped topping, and 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese to create a 'healthier' version of this deliciousness. Enjoy!
Time: 1 hour
2 (8 oz) bags of Newman's Own Organic Pretzels, crushed
3/4 c butter, melted
1 and 1/4 c white sugar
1 (8 oz) container of fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 package of frozen strawberries
2 packages of strawberry jello
2 c water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Press the pretzel mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
4. Place baking dish in oven to bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to allow crust to cool.
5. In a large bowl (we used our KitchenAid Mixer) mix together cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and the container of whipped topping, until there are no longer any lumps.
6. Spread mixture on top of cooled pretzel layer. Be sure to cover the pretzel layer completely. This will be important later, so that the gelatin doesn't soak into the pretzel layer. Place in refrigerator while preparing the jello topping.
7. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Pour in jello mixture and dissolve in boiling water. Stir in frozen strawberries and remove from heat. Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes, so that mixture begins to set.
**Caution, do not try to move strawberries once the have touched the cream cheese layer. This will cause the cream cheese lumps to rise within the gelatin layer.
9. Refrigerate until set. Enjoy!