We love hummus in our family and keep it around so much that it made sense to start making our own batches from scratch. However, one thing we don't keep around much is tahini. Luckily, we find that our homemade hummus recipe tastes just as delicious without it and kids seem to prefer it this way, too! It's incredibly easy and uses ingredients you likely have around the house every day. We store batches of it in plastic containers for simple storage. Check it out below!
Time: 10 minutes
- 15 oz Chickpeas, canned (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt, to taste (We used 1/2 teaspoonful)
- Place olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove, ground cumin, and salt into a food processor for approximately one minute.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Add a third of the can and blend for 2 minutes. Add another third and blend for 2 minutes. Add the final third and blend for 3-5 minutes, or until smooth.
- Add additional salt to taste if needed.
- Place in refrigerator to chill until you are ready to serve.