Chicken pot pie is such a simple dish that's so versatile that you can make it as hardy and flavorful as you'd like. Whether we're coming home after an exhausting day of work or just want to whip up something quickly, pot pies are a great option for a fast meal that always tastes like you slaved away! Often times we vary the recipe based on whatever we have in the refrigerator since it's also a nice way to use up leftovers. For this recipe, we stuck with a traditional chicken pot pie. Don't hesitate to take liberties in substituting ingredients you have on hand. It's difficult to mess up! Check out the steps below and enjoy!
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 package (top and bottom) pie crust
- 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders
- 3 tbsp cooking oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme (or basil)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 bag frozen vegetable medley
- 12 oz chicken broth (substitutions: 1.5 cups leftover chicken stock or 2 cans cream of mushroom soup)
- 2 to 4 tbsp of flour (skip this ingredient if you use cream of mushroom soup)
- milk or cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thaw pie crusts. Unroll a crust and line bottom of pie pan with it.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Heat a pan and add in oil and chicken. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and let it rest.
- Brown onions and garlic in the pan.
- Microwave cook the vegetable medley, then add to pan.
- Stir in the spices.
- Add the chicken to the pan. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in chicken stock or broth and bring the whole thing to a simmer.
- Gradually stir in flour to desired thickness. If you go too far, add in some milk or cream.
- Spoon the mixture into the pie crust.
- Add top crust and seal edges. (Using fork prongs seals and creates a nice design.) If you want to get really fancy, use cookie cutters to cut out center shapes.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow pot pie to cool for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!