This week sweet potatoes were priced incredibly low, so my husband and I thought it would be the perfect time to try making our own sweet potato chips! They turned out to be easier and more delicious than we expected. Since my husband likes spicy food, we went for a recipe with a little bit of a kick...
You will need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- medium-size mixing bowl
- 2 large cookie sheets
- 1 basting brush
- aluminum foil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Line each cookie sheet with foil.
3. Set mandolin to a thin setting, either 1/4 or 1/8 inch. Slice both sweet potatoes. (We left the skin on because we like the taste, but you may prefer to peel your potatoes first.)
4. In a medium-size bowl, mix together olive oil, maple syrup, and chili powder.
5. Toss small handfuls of the sweet potato slices in the mixture. Place each slice on the foil-covered cookie sheet.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking.
8. Place in oven for 7 minutes. Remove trays to turn potato slices over.
9. Using the basting brush, brush any remaining mixture on the potato slices and place back in the oven for 5-7 more minutes, until slices begin to crisp.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve and enjoy!