This holiday season, we wanted to step our desserts up a notch. We had never attempted a cream-filled cake before, so we wanted to start off with a very simple version. We decided to go with a pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling and light cream cheese frosting. If you're not into pumpkin, any flavor cake will do. We found a box of pumpkin cake mix at the grocery store, which seemed like a logical start to keep it simple. Of course, you can make one from scratch, too. For as simple as this recipe is, we were very happy with the results. Check out the steps below:
Prepare Cake Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- Combine all ingredients in your KitchenAid Mixer or mix with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Beat on low until well mixed.
- Increase the speed to medium until thick and smooth, usually around 3-5 minutes.
- Grease bundt cake pan completely.
- Pre-heat oven and prepare cake mix per box instructions or your personal recipe.
- Pour cake mix into the bundt cake pan.
- Add the cake filling in the shape of a ring around the middle of the cake batter. Take care not to touch it to the bundt pan. (We used a spoon to dollop the cake filling on, but a pastry bag would allow more control.)
- Bake cake according to instructions.
- Allow to cool for 45 minutes after taking out of the oven. You should notice the filling has sunk into the middle of the cake at this point.
- Flip cake onto serving tray and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Serve and enjoy!