Cook Time: 8 hours
2 c sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
3/4 cup water
pinch of salt
- Put all of the peeled, cored and sliced apples into a crockpot and set on low.(You may want to use a food processor on the slices for a little starter jam.)
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
- Cover and cook on low setting overnight or until the butter is of a thick, spreadable consistency (about 8 to 10 hours). Stir every other hour in the beginning, but more frequently as the butter thickens to prevent burning.
- If the apple butter has too much liquid, remove the lid and cook on high until thickened.
- Allow to cool.
- Put in container for refrigerator storage or freeze for longer storage.