- 6 quarts popcorn
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Time: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Pop six quarts of popcorn and set aside in big bowls.
- Melt the margarine over medium-low heat, then stir in the brown sugar and salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil for 5 five minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
- Drizzle the mixture over the popcorn and toss to evenly coat. **The mixture is HOT! Be Careful! Use a big spoon, NOT not your hands!**
- Spread the popcorn evenly over baking sheets and put into oven at 200 degrees for 45 minutes.
- 15 minutes into baking, stir and turn the popcorn. Continue baking.
- 30 minutes into baking, stir and turn the popcorn again. Continue baking.
- After the full 45 minutes, remove from oven and let set for a few minutes to cool.
- Put the popcorn into clean bowls to serve, or seal in Ziploc bags for later.
NOTE: If the popcorn sits out too long, the caramel will harden and you'll have one big sheet of caramel corn. Make sure you "break it up" either into a serving bowl or bag.